View all facilities

Rivers Park

  1. 1
  2. 2


The Rivers’ home was built in 1929 by Robert Campbell Rivers, Jr., the first publisher of Boone’s Watauga Democrat Newspaper as well as publisher of the Blowing Rock Rocket and Avery Journal in Newland. Eventually his daughter, author Rachel Rivers-Coffey, and her husband, photographer and reporter Paul Armfield Coffey, took over ownership and publication of the newspaper. Rachel and Paul published the newspaper until they sold the company in 1994. It was Rachel Rivers-Coffey’s wish to donate her family’s 13-acre property and house to the Town of Boone. The Town accepted the property as a piece of local history and to preserve the natural beauty of the property for the citizens of and visitors to Boone.

In 2005, a historic monument to town namesake Daniel Boone was erected on the property. The marker was redesigned and pieced together from the original monument that was erected in 1912 on what is now the Appalachian State University campus.


  1. Champion Tree "Baby"

    View Subfacility