Community Appearance Commission
The Community Appearance Commission (CAC) is an advisory board that makes recommendations to Town Council on the visual appearance, community beautification, and landscape development that affect the Town.
Please review the Town of Boone Unified Development Ordinance, Sections 2.03 & 2.05 for more information about the Community Appearance Commission.
The Town of Boone is soliciting applications for 4 regular positions and 1 student position for the Community Appearance Commission. To the extent qualified persons can be found, the majority of the Commission shall have demonstrated special training or experience in a design field such as architecture, landscape design, horticulture, city planning, or a closely related field.
Currently, the CAC is looking for individuals interested in urban design principles, for example, the appearance of commercial development in Boone. The CAC would like to have members concerned about what development looks like now and in the future, as the CAC's work impacts long-term development under the Town of Boone's Unified Development Ordinance community appearance standards.
The CAC meets on the fourth Tuesday of each month at 5:30 pm and is currently meeting virtually. If you live within the Town of Boone corporate limits and have an interest in urban design, architecture, and landscaping, please consider applying for the CAC.
For more information, please contact Jessica Mitchell, Long-Range/Special Projects Planner, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information continue through this page to view the Membership and Current Roster sections.
The CAC consists of seven (7) members who are appointed by the Town Council for 3-year terms. All members shall be residents of the Town of Boone.
To the extent qualified persons can be found, the majority of members shall have special training or experience in a design field such as architecture, landscape design, horticulture, city planning, or a closely related field.
One membership position on the CAC shall be designated for an Appalachian State University student; provided, that more than one Appalachian State University student position may be appointed at the discretion of the Town Council. The designated Appalachian State University student member shall serve a term of one (1) year.
To submit the application online, use the form linked here.
Powers and Duties
- Initiate, promote, and assist in the implementation of programs of general community beautification in the Town.
- Coordinate the activities of individuals, agencies, and organizations, public and private, whose plans, activities, and programs bear upon the appearance of the Town.
- Provide leadership and guidance in matters of community design and appearance to individuals, and public and private organizations.
- Make studies of the visual characteristics and problems of the Town, including surveys and inventories of an appropriate nature, and recommend standards and policies of design for the entire area, any portion or neighborhood thereof, or any project to be undertaken.
- Prepare both general and specific plans for the improved appearance of the Town. These plans may include the entire area or any part thereof and may include private as well as public property. The plans shall set forth desirable standards and goals for the aesthetic enhancement of the Town or any part thereof within its area of planning and development regulation jurisdiction, including public ways and areas, open spaces, and public and private buildings and projects.
- Participate, in any way deemed appropriate by the Town Council and specified in the ordinance establishing the commission, in the implementation of its plans.
- 5:30 pm
- 4th Tuesday of every month
- Meeting Location: Upstairs Planning & Inspections Conference Room, 680 W. King Street;
- Meetings held in the Planning & Inspections Conference Room can be accessed through the Downtown Post Office lobby. The conference room can be accessed by the far door (with glass) to the right as you face the teller windows.
- The CAC is currently meeting virtually, through WebEx, a video-conferencing software. Please contact the Planning & Inspections Department by email (email@example.com) or by phone (828-268-6960) for more information on how to watch or participate in the CAC meetings.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
|Board Members||Appointed||Term Expires||# of Terms|
|Sarah Davis Cagle- Chair||6/20/2019||6/30/2022||2nd|
|Michael Bugge - Vice Chair||8/19/2021||6/30/2024||1st|
|Christy Cook - Commission Member||08/19/2021||6/30/2022||1st|
|Vacant - Commission Member||6/30/2022|
|Vacant- Student Commission Member||6/30/2022|
|Vacant - Commission Member||6/30/2023|
|Vacant - Commission Member||6/30/2024|