The Planning Commission (PC) is an advisory board that makes recommendations to the Council on future growth and development issues that affect the Town and advises the Town Council concerning the implementation of plans, including, but not limited to, review and comment on all zoning text and map amendments as required by G.S. 160D-604. In addition to or as part of its regular meeting schedule, the Planning Commission shall attend public hearings on proposed zoning text and map amendments scheduled by the Town Council.
Please scroll down and click on one of the following tabs to learn more about the PC's Upcoming Meetings, Meeting Information, Membership and Current Roster, and Powers and Duties.
Please view the Town of Boone Planning and Inspections Meeting Calander to review meeting dates and associated deadlines by clicking on the following link:
In order to view the agendas or minutes of upcoming or past meetings of the: Board of Adjustment, Community Appearance Commission, Downtown Boone Development Association (DBDA), Historic Preservation Commission, Human Resources Commission, Planning Commission, Town Council, and Sustainability Committee, please select the following link, which will take you to the Town of Boone Meeting Portal.
- 6:00 pm; 4th Monday of every month at Town Council Chambers, 1500 Blowing Rock Road
- The PC is currently meeting virtually through WebEx, a video-conferencing software. Please contact the Planning & Inspections Department by email (email@example.com) or by phone (828-268-6960) for more information on how to watch or participate in the PC meetings.
- Please view the HPC Meeting Calander to review meeting dates and associated deadlines by clicking on the following link: 2023 Town of Boone Meeting Calendar (PDF)
The PC consists of seven (7) members who are appointed by Town Council for 3-year terms. All members shall be residents of the Town of Boone.
One membership position on the PC shall be designated for an Appalachian State University student, provided that more than one Appalachian State University student position may be appointed at the discretion of the Town Council. The designated Appalachian State University student member shall serve a term of one (1) year.
Please click on the links below to submit either a Student Board Application or a regular Board Application for consideration for a board opening:
|Board Members||Appointed||Term Expires|
|Eric Plaag- Vice Chair||5/20/2021||6/30/2024|
|Frank Veno- Board Member||5/20/2021||6/30/2024|
|Scott Boyd- Student Board Member||05/10/2023|
|Chris Behrend - Board Member||06/08/2022||6/30/2025|
|Smith Warren-Board Member||06/08/2022||6/30/2025|
|Vacant-Board Member (continuing to serve until replaced, E. Shay)||6/30/2026|
|Vacant-Board Member (continuing to serve until replaced J. Tippett)||6/30/2026|
PC Powers and Duties
- Prepare, review, maintain, monitor, and periodically update and recommend to the governing board a comprehensive plan and such other plans as deemed appropriate and conduct ongoing related research, data collection, mapping, and analysis.
- Facilitate and coordinate resident engagement and participation in the planning process.
- Develop and recommend policies, ordinances, development regulations, administrative procedures, and other means for carrying out plans in a coordinated and efficient manner.
- Advise the governing board concerning the implementation of plans, including, but not limited to, review and comment on all zoning text and map amendments as required by G.S. 160D-604. The Planning Commission shall not, however, have the power to “initiate” changes to the Ordinance, as the term “initiate” is used in Section 9.02;
- Exercise any functions in the administration and enforcement of various means for carrying out plans that the governing board may direct.
- 6. Review and either approve or deny proposed minor subdivision requests when a portion of the land to be subdivided lies within a Designated Water Supply Watershed District, based upon the application of Articles 5 and 29 of the Ordinance; and
- Perform any other related duties that the Council may direct.
Please review the Town of Boone Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) to read more about the Planning Commission's role in the development process, specifically, Article 2 Administrative Mechanisms (Sections 2.02 & 2.05) and Article 9 Amendments. The link below will take you to the Town's page dedicated to the UDO: